Monday, May 28, 2012

Memorial Day Dinner


I hadn't planned a dinner tonight so before I went on my run late this afternoon I tossed a few individually wrapped chicken breasts into some water to thaw out and I would figure out the rest when it was time to cook.  To be honest, 9 out of 10 dinners here are made this way. I am horrible at planning ahead.

So 6pm I had chicken breasts. I looked around the kitchen and found: a head of garlic, a lemon, fresh thyme and bottle of white wine that I had opened up the night before.

I heated up the oil, sauteed the minced garlic until right before it started to brown and then I poured in about 3/4 cup of the white wine.  While that was simmering away I minced up the thyme, and seasoned the chicken with it as well as salt and pepper.  I then added the juice of the lemon to the pan and put the chicken it it.  Cooked it on medium high for about four minutes on each side. Perfect.  I was actually to busy barking orders at the kids to wash up and set the table that I forgot to snap a photo of the finished product.  It tasted great but it wasn't the prettiest of chicken breasts.

So then. Sides.  Peas. As I was steaming them I thought to add some of our fresh mint from the backyard. Mint and peas. SO AMAZING!  Cook the peas so barely soft, butter, fresh ground pepper, and a bunch of chopped fresh mint.  You must try this.

Finally, I didn't have lettuce so I just diced some avocado and cherry tomatoes..splash of balsamic salad dressing..summer yummy!

So nothing special about any of it but combined it was a great, pretty healthy, summer dinner.

very simple, very good


I normally would put about 2 tablespoons of chopped minced but I wasn't sure how it would go over with the kids so I only used a tablespoon..still good.

ignore the little brown spot, it was from the pit



No comments:

Post a Comment